Friday, May 25, 2007

Tribute to a dear pet

Peering into the box, it was quite a sight
My stone heart melted at the cat’s plight
But how foul it smelt then, I shan't now begin to say
The stench was so pungent it drove the girls away.
.
In the kitchen it quickly lapped up the water
“How cute!” cooed my delighted young sister
So amused was she, the odor didn’t matter
A far cry from the response of my mother
.
“Are you sure about this?” she quickly voiced her concern,
Thus was my reply, “I care for this kitten”
Day after day I tended to it with great ardor
And as my love grew, so did the orange ball of fur.
.
In some ways it was quite an asset
In many ways it was a dear friend
In all ways it surpassed the ordinary cat
Yet, none can tell, why it ran!
.
For through the rearing of this frail feline
I have obtained traits which were once not mine
From cleaning its litter to clearing up the mess
I found myself to be like a father in duress.
.
A stray kitten nurtured to a cat so tame
It didn’t mind having a female name
For all that it was and taught me about
A smile is ever more appropriate than a pout.
:>